Key pieces of work covering a range of different issues include:
ActionAid UK: editing policy and media reports (see list below), and writing and editing fundraising and campaigns copy. Regular contributor/sub-editor for ActionAid's supporter magazine, Action. Recently edited reports include:
- Sweet nothings: The human cost of a British sugar giant avoiding taxes in southern Africa
- Addicted to tax havens: the secret life of the FTSE 100
- A just peace? The legacy of war for the women of Afghanistan
- Calling time: why SABMiller should stop dodging taxes in Africa
- What next? Tax cooperation after the London G20 summit
- Failing the rural poor: aid, agriculture and the MDGs
- The abstinence debate: condoms,the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and ideology
- Hit or miss? Women's rights and the millennium development goals
- Who pays? The real price of cheap school uniforms
- Bound and tied: The developmental impacts of industrial trade liberalisation negotiations at the World Trade Organisation
- The trade escape: WTO rules and alternatives to free trade Economic Partnership Agreements
- Delivering the 2010 target: Financing universal access to HIV and AIDS treatment
- Making aid accountable and effective: An ActionAid plan for real aid reform
- Merkel's moment: The G8's credibility test on Africa
- Making the grade: A model national policy for the prevention, management and elimination of violence against girls in school
- Consolidating the peace? Views from Sierra Leone and Burundi on the United Nations Peacebuilding Commission
Burma Campaign UK: former editor of Metta, the organisation's twice-yearly supporter magazine.
CAFOD (Catholic Agency for Overseas Development): writing annual reports, campaign and fundraising literature, and much of the core content for CAFOD's website relaunch in 2004. Most recently I wrote the print materials for CAFOD's new campaign on extractive industries, Unearth Justice.
ChildLine (now merged with NSPCC): writing case studies for use in fundraising and campaign materials.
Christian Aid: Former staff editor of quarterly magazine Christian Aid News (circulation 350,000), and (as a freelance), writing and editing reports (see below), annual reviews, fundraising, educational and campaigns literature. Copy editing work includes:
- Human tide: the real migration crisis
- Israel and Palestine: a question of viability
- Lifelines: ending the 40-year occupation of the Palestinian Territories
- Losing ground: Israel, poverty and the Palestinians
- Facts on the ground: the end of the two-state solution
Commission for Social Care Inspection: editing the stakeholder information pack for the new healthcare regulator in England and Wales.
Concern: writing content for the Unheard voices campaign for small farmers in developing countries.
The Consumers' Association/Which?: editing reports and copy for new campaign website on a range of issues - healthcare, personal finance, food, endowments, estate agents. Also wrote a 'jargon buster' for personal finance section of website.
Healthlink WorldWide: writing a report-back for the UK government's Department for International Development (DfID) on a programme of initiatives in the field of disability and healthcare technology – Disability Knowledge and Research programme.
The Forster Company (campaigning communications agency): co-writing the 'Use your head, teach' recruitment pack for the Teacher Training Agency; writing booklets on drug use and families for Adfam; work also undertaken for Save the Children UK and a mental health toolkit for the Department of Health.
Fairtrade Foundation: editing and producing media report for Fairtrade Fortnight 2012.
Friends of the Earth: writing a booklet on environmental justice.
HelpAge International (now Age UK): regular writer for supporter magazine, Sponsor a grandparent news.
Labour Party's Agenda Magazine: writing regular features for 'profile' page on local council leaders.
Lewisham Council: sub-editing the council's magazine, Lewisham Life.
Merlin (medical relief agency): writing content for supporter magazine Response and writing the 2009 annual review.
Marie Curie Cancer Care: regular features and news writer for monthly newspaper, Marie Curie People.
New Philanthropy Capital: editing a report on children and disability.
No More Breast Cancer: editing Breast cancer: an environmental disease. The case for primary prevention.
Responding to Conflict: editing corporate prospectus.
World Health Organization (in association with partners such as the International Federation of the Red Cross and UNICEF):
- Technical editing for the Global Road Safety Report, 2013.
- Technical editing for the Global Tobacco Control Report, 2013.
- Technical editing and writing Alt Text for World Report on Disability.
- Editing two books for the Violence and Injury Prevention unit at WHO: Burn prevention - success stories and lessons learned, and Strengthening care for the injured - success stories and lessons learned.
- Editing manuals for policy makers on road safety issues including drinking and driving and speed management. Recently edited the Executive Summary of the World Report on Child Injury Prevention and accompanying factsheets on drowning, burns, falls, poisoning and road traffic accidents.
Last updated October 2013
For more information please get in touch